Monday, March 24, 2014

Pagination & Content


I hope I'm not too late for this week's post //crossed fingers//

I've been working on my pagination and content for my 1-0-1 How to Be Superstitious Textbook/Workbook this week. For this, I had to look up some old-school textbooks (i.e Pet School house TB since pri school & my room mate's Basic Malay for Undergraduates. I took some photos of that for reference. Here are some shots with notes:





CONTENTS PAGE
1. Good to title the chapters by "Lessons"
2. Labeling what will be taught (summary)
3. Not too fancy layout for students to scribble notes (if they even need to scribble notes about superstition?)
4. Page number

I noticed that the font size for the whole book was humoungous and, most importantly, very ugly. There were tables everywhere with bold Arial font (possibly) and kerning problems.  Sorry for being blunt, but really, there's no hierarchy in the spread. (Ok, maybe because the purpose of a textbook is to teach and not to look pretty. But, no, this is not my textbook is gonna look like)



I got to these 2 pages with pictures and I felt slightly relieved. For the book.

These 2 pages instantly grabbed my attention. So, yes, my book shall have illustrations, as previously mentioned. These spreads, with all the tables gave me an idea for the work book section.
Lastly, my room mate's notes that were shoved in between pages gave me an idea to insert irregular sized pages into the textbook. I decided that I should combine the textbook and the workbook together, upon looking at this textbook, possibly posing questions on the irregular sized pages. Like such: https://www.behance.net/gallery/IKEA-Booklet-Design/15061339

 Content:

1. What is Superstition?
2. How did it come about?
3. Hungry Ghost Festival (Introduce Chinese Superstitious festival)
    - What is it, How it's celebrated, Why it's celebrated, Who celebrates it, Where is the festival being held
4. Superstitious practices
   - What you should and should not do during Hungry Ghost Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment