Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reverting.

Pardon me, I tend to be quite fickle. 
Today was the our infographic proposal pitch. I have to admit that I wasn't being very attentive because I was feeling so drowsy from medication, but I do remember some striking proposals - like Jeremy's gardening idea (I thought the infographic layout was quite fantastic, I've always admire clean cohesive layouts- something I could never achieve), Sharlene's dating scheme (so abstract and fascinating) and Bev's really pretty water coloured disposable plates.  
By the way, I also wanted to say thank you for always making us write down our thoughts (like the first day when we had to introduce ourselves) or design an infographic poster before we present, just so we know exactly what we should talk about. It helps a lot with the nerves and too-much-attention-on-the-speaker. 
Anyway, I made the decision to stick to my original proposal- which was to create a "How To Be Superstitious" working kit (instead of the idea of the lunch box + menu I mentioned). I felt that I still liked the straight-forwardness of the proposal because, ultimately, my audience are straight-forward, simple minded teenagers. And I was ultimately making things very complicated with the Food Idea. Another very unepic flaw of mine. I'm still thankful that you entertained my casual slip into exploring the area of "Food & Superstition" though, because I was able to get some reference pictures for the general look & feel that I was going for, which was published in my previous post.

But on a side note, this was my research for the latter:

Types of Superstition regarding food:

  1. Chopsticks cannot be placed in the bowl. Spirits will come to haunt you.
  2. Cutting an apple infront of a mirror will show you your future.
  3. A clean plate of rice will give you less pimples.
  4. Tangerines signify wealth and fortune.
  5. A rice container cannot be empty.
  6. Noodles should not be cut (longevity)
  7. A family that dines together, stays together. 


Why is food so important, especially to the Chinese?

  1. The importance of food in understanding human culture lies precisely in its infinite variability--variability that is not essential for species survival
  2. Food not only affects health as a matter of general principle, the selection of the right food at any particular time must also be dependent upon one's health condition at that time. Food, therefore, is also medicine
  3. Pride & Joy: Since ingredients are not the same everywhere, Chinese food begins to assume a local character simply by virtue of the ingredients it uses.
  4. Customs, traditional recipes
  5. Chinese were poor back then. Food was precious.
  6. Eating is serious business, at every ceremony. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment