Monday, April 21, 2014

How much can a woodchuck chuck in one night?

For my file, I picked the Manilla Folder inspired design- however giving it another twist. Like previously mentioned, I felt that it should be brown because brown represents wood and wood is a "neutralizing element" in the Chinese superstitious saying, "Touch wood!". Hence, my file is made out of wood rather than paper. 
I found out that if you make multiple cuts in wood, you will be able to bend it. This was used for the spine of the file. I'm cutting it very close. I was supposed to finish it last night in the product lab but unfortunately, there were some design specifics on my file that was wrong and thus, I had to go down to Art Friend to buy new blocks of wood.








Just done with prepping the wood and I figured that I had to try one of those Selfies to proclaim my success with manually sanding it down.

So after I cut the wood, all I have to do is:
1- Lacquer
2- Hair dry
3- Glue additional pieces of wood
4- Put in elastic bands to secure the book
5- Hair dry again (or put under the air con)


From constantly making my way down from Hall to Art Friend (4/5 times in the past week), to traveling to Hougang for RJ, to getting the right wood (that has to be 3mm, and no thicker), I've learnt determination, perseverance and experimentation. Before this, I really had no clue on how to even get into the Product Lab, let alone use the machines, but I took the plunge and was surprisingly insistent on stepping out to learn new things. I'm quite glad at the result of it. It may not be the best, but I think that compared to last sem, my craft has improved quite a bit and I feel that I'm a more independent designer. That being said I spent a considerable sum of money on experimentation, but ah, that's what summer jobs are for.

And therefore, coming back to my point: 
I shall succeed with the file now.

Oh, and also, because these are keeping me alive:
FunFact: I always thought that these "Cooling Teas" were part of superstition too. Maybe because their named so dodgy-ly, but they're actually proven to be medicinal. Boy, was I wrong for 22 years of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment