Sunday, April 20, 2014

Totem - Up and Working







Working in the product lab on Easter takes a whole new level of faith - then again, I'm no one to complain because I've seen some of the other Viscommers' work and they're amazing. Once again, I'm waiting for the laser machine to raster and cut my files. Spent today binding the 101 How To Be Superstitious Textbook with red thread. Red thread doesn't only symbolize prosperity (because of the colour) though.
Fun fact:
"Red String of Fate" is related to the folklore consisting of  Yuè Xià Lǎo (月下老, often abbreviated to "Yuèlǎo" [月老]), the old lunar matchmaker god who is also in charge of marriages. This story was told to many grand kids by their grandparents. Superstitious believers believe that two "soul mates" or lovers are connected with this red thread that never breaks, despite distance.
 
I have figured out how I will package my Totem of Luck. I used quite a number of materials (different types of papers, to be exact) - from RJ Paper. The brown paper was used because it's sturdy and can hold the other embellishments such as the sewing (red thread), that compliments the binding of the book, so that it'll look like there's continuity between the two items (The pictures above don't show the sewing on the Totem packaging though.). Finally, I slipped an instructional guide sheet in a small pocket on the front of the Totem Packaging (not shown in photos too) because there was barely any surface area to put visible text that is more than 4pt. 
Fixing the totem together was a little chore because it was quite tough to find the right bolt and nut size, but alas, I accomplished the task. However, the dial didn't spin freely even though these were used, and yes, I was missing a piece of this shiny circular widget that I still have no clue what it's called, but - still, accomplished:


I like how the Totem is able to fit nicely into the palm of one's hand. It may be small, but as one looks at how the dual layers of rastered clear acrylic reflects off the mirror backing, there's this exquisite factor to it. It reminds me of a pocket mirror, something handy, but elegant. Colour wise, the silver finish depicts the futuristic 2050 landscape, slick, clean and possibly a community with a lack of culture and purely machinery.

Yup, yup - Totem Up and Working.




No comments:

Post a Comment